Friday, July 16, 2010

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Best Blogger Tips
The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High AdventureThe Princess Bride is a fantasy book about love, princesses, princes, pirates, giants, fighting and more. Buttercup falls in love with a farm boy, Westley, but is forced to marry Prince Humperdinck. Believing Westley is dead, Buttercup draws closer to her wedding night. But before the ceremony Princess Buttercup is kidnapped by three humourously dysfunctional characters. Shortly after the crime they notice they are being followed. The Dread Pirate Roberts interferes with their plans and steals the Princess. . .

The author, William Goldman, had taken the original book (by Florinese author, Morgenstern) and edited out all of the "boring parts". Throughout the book he comments on which parts he is skipping.


I thought Goldman's comments were irritating but the story was very well written. It was easy to read and faced paced with lots of action, romance, and humour.

I saw the movie first, when I was a kid, and it has been my favourite ever since. It's not the type of genre I usually read (fantasy), but, because the movie follows the book so closely, I liked it before I even read it (yes, this review is a bit biased).

I give this book a THUMBS UP! If it doesn't seem like the type of book you would read, I recommend at least watching the movie.



Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

3 comments:

  1. I want to read the original book by Morgenstern but cannot find it anywhere. I've searched online and even checked with numerous book stores to see if they could order it. But no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello was just checking out new blogs and I came across yours and I think yours is really cool so I had to become a follower. Come check out mine sometime if you'd like

    faith love peace joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following The Bookshelf. I'm going to check out your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete