Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Strangers by Taichi Yamada

Best Blogger Tips
StrangersStrangers was written by Japanese screenwriter Taichi Yamada and translated to English. The 47 year old main character Harada has recently divorced and is living in his office. On his birthday he decides to visit his hometown that he has not been to in years. While he is there he finds a couple that looks exactly like his parents at the age they were when they died (in their 30's). He spends time with this couple trying to understand who these people are.

Harada struggles with his tragic past and his current loneliness.He finds comfort in this couple with whom he feels like a kid again. But this happiness could only last for so long before it began to take a toll on his health.

I couldn't put the book down. I loved the story, suspense, mystery, and shock-value. At the end of the book the whole story comes together and it leaves you wanting to read more. It's only 200 pages long so it is a fast read. I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes Japanese and Korean films, especially ghost stories.

I give this book a Thumbs Up!

Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

3 comments:

  1. I have Yamada's In Search of Distant Voices on order. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangers was adapted into a film in the 1980s. It's really hard to find though. It's Japanese and I'm not sure if it is available with English subs. I cannot find it on Chapters or Amazon. :( But I would really love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy with this book because I bought it new for less than $2! It was somewhat unexpectedly a great read. I can't believe I found it for such a low price.

    ReplyDelete